On February 1, 2012 we were paged out to a garbage truck on fire at the fire station. When firefighters arrived they found that the driver of the garbage truck had dumped his load so it would not burn his truck. We extinguished the burning trash without much trouble.
This is the second time this has happened in the last 2 years, to help us avoid this in the future please make sure there are no hot embers in the trash, this could be caused by hot ashes from a fireplace, wood burning stove or a smoldering cigarette.
The garbage company has done a great job in cleaning up after both these fires. We are greatfull that the drivers of these trucks are alert to these types of fires and have avoided a costly vehicle fire.